Sunday, August 11, 2013

Liam's Birth Story

So here we are, the morning of the 21st of May... after a sleepless night, we were so ready to meet our little man! Talk about a nerve racking morning. It was so weird walking into the hospital, not in labor, but knowing our baby would soon be here.  I was so antsy and nervous while they were getting me ready and prepped for surgery.  (The thoughts of getting cut open again were not thrilling to say the least.)


 All smiles and ready to go!
(Last prego pic... this is what +40lbs looks like :)

 So weird being on this side of things... and having it be so calm and relaxing.  This was a whole different ball game compared to the emergency section with Kayson.
 The awesome OR crew, my friends, and co-workers!
 He's HERE!! Liam Bradford Knudsen arrived May 21. 2013 at 7:43 am and he came out just a screaming!  He was perfectly content in there .... surprise :)
When he came out, everyone in there kept saying how "big" he was.  They kept saying, "wow, he's big" "oh he's a big boy" and then Coby looked down at me and said, "Jess, he's huge!" 

He wasn't maintaing his pink color very well and would go blue/purple fairly quickly after they removed the oxygen blowing by him, so it took a while for me to be able to see him. 
They wheeled him over so I could see him, but had to keep oxygen blowing by for a little while. You can see he looks a little blue. 
Everyone guessed their weights in the operating room, and both Dr's were sure he was in the 9lb range. My co-worker Elaine guessed the biggest at 10.4lbs.

My first time getting to see him up close!!  
And the results were in.... 11LBS 8OZ!!! What???  Coby had to take a picture of the scale in the nursery and come show everyone in the OR.  When he showed everyone they couldn't believe it.... he even said they weighed him twice! :) 
He looks so big in this picture! (but I guess he is big) :)
Lots of hair!

Ah... Yes!! I finally got to see him up close and hold him!


He was absolutely perfect!!
This experience was so different from Kayson's birth.  It was really calm and quiet, and I was able to do skin-to-skin with Liam right away away and nurse him.... and get that initial bonding experience that I never had with Kayson. 

Kayson's first time seeing Liam! 
He wanted to come right up on my lap.  Everyone was nervous with my incisions and all, but it was such a surreal moment having my two perfect little boys together and me being able to hold them. (A moment I will never forget)
He was really good with Liam and right away wanted to see my belly and where he came from. 
(Even weeks later, Kayson still wanted to see my incision "mom's owie")
Bless my mom's heart, she came and stayed with us the night before so that somebody was home with Kayson, and they were there immediately to see baby Liam!
                                First bath!


Kayson getting to see Liam again and love on his little brother!

I felt so good this day! I wasn't in any pain and mentally and emotionally I was feeling so great! (like I said, completely different experience from the first c-section)
                 Grandma Brenda and Liam
            Uncle Shane and Aunt Shanell
            Aunt Alyson and Aunt Amanda
        Grandpa Brad (whom Liam Bradford is named after)

Grandpa and Grandma "May-May" (Madsen) and Aunt Shelby
            My happy little sumo man!
Day #2 I kinda crashed! I was so dizzy and sick to my stomach.  My blood pressure was low and also my blood count, but man, any time I would go to move or stand up, I'd about pass out.  That day was kind of a blur.  It was really quiet and our only visitors were Grandma and Grandpa Knudsen!


Day #3 was much better and I was able to get up and move around and snuggle my little man!

         I should have been sleeping, but I let these two do that instead!


There were a couple concerns with Kayson's urine while we were there.  It was really dark and cloudy and they were worried about a possible kidney infection or other complications.  Luckily, the results came back normal and everything cleared up!
My incision also got infected, so they had to put me on antibiotics. But aside from those few happenings, we were finally able to go HOME!
Liam's going home outfit was absolutely adorable! Although we had a nice stay at the hospital, we were so ready to go home.





All set and ready to go home! 
Here we go, starting back into the real world with two little boys.  We are so blessed to have to happy healthy little one!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats! I am so happy for you. Having 2 little boys is the best ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cheeks kill me! What a cute little (big) man! Hope you guys are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing the story of how Liam got here!

    ReplyDelete